Here is your Liverpool morning digest for Wednesday, October 6.
Liverpool stadium plan and naming rights update
Liverpool’s managing director, Andy Hughes, says getting Anfield’s capacity above 60,000 is vital to the club’s long-term ability to compete.
And the Reds chief says the “enormous and strategic investment” of the Anfield Road development by owners Fenway Sports Group is what is needed to continue performing at the top end of the game in a self-sufficient manner.
The plan to add a further 7,000 to the venue officially got underway on Thursday when manager Jurgen Klopp placed the first spade in the ground at Anfield and Liverpool are confident of completion in time for August 2023.
Mr Hughes says the idea was always to get Anfield above the 60,000 mark for capacity as he outlined how the investment is further proof of the owners’ commitment to the football club.
Full transcript of our exclusive interview with Andy Hughes:
Firstly, just how big a day is this for everyone at the football club?
“It’s an absolutely massive day, we’ve been working on this project for a really long period of time.
“I think that has been well discussed. We first applied for outline planning permission in 2016, which was when we built the Main Stand and this is the culmination of a lot of work.
“Ultimately it’s about getting that capacity above 60,000 so it’s a really good day for the club.”
When we first spoke about this project back in November of 2019, naming rights were still on the table as a possibility, what’s the latest with that at this stage?
“There is no real update at the moment, but there’s a lot of different things that we can do around sponsorship and in terms of the specific lounges.
“If you look at what we have done in the Main Stand, then that is the sort of thing we’re looking at now, but nothing specific as of yet.”
READ THE FULL STORY HERE.
Get all the latest Liverpool breaking news, team news, transfer rumours, injury updates plus analysis of what’s next for the Reds.
You’ll also get the latest transfer talk and analysis every day for FREE!
Liverpool ‘used WhatsApp’ to try to secure £52m transfer
Prior to signing for Chelsea last year, Timo Werner was heavily linked with a move to both Bayern Munich and Liverpool.
In a legal dispute between Werner’s agent Karl-Heinz Forster and his former associate Murat Lokurlu, details have emerged in the last few weeks that claim the clubs first approached him in 2019.
A report in Der Spiegel reveals evidence submitted by Lokurlu as part of the financial disagreement, which includes a number of WhatsApp chats detailing an apparent proposed transfer for Werner two years ago.
Werner was in talks with Liverpool and Bayern Munich over a potential move in February 2019, according to Lokurlu’s lawyer.
Further documents submitted claim Liverpool offered Werner a salary of nearly £10.3m per year and almost £21.5m in bonuses.
Instead, though, Forster is said to have pushed the then-RB Leipzig forward to sign a pre-contract agreement with Bayern Munich, a move which then collapsed after Werner learned senior figures at the club were not keen on bringing him in.
The German international extended his contract with Leipzig, but was still linked with a move away the following year as interest from Liverpool resurfaced.
All signs pointed to the Reds finally landing their man, but Werner instead joined Premier League rivals Chelsea and Liverpool opted to sign Diogo Jota from Wolves.
READ THE FULL STORY HERE.
#1 Football Merchandise & Souvenirs Store Liverpool Shop Chelsea Shop Manchester City Shop Arsenal Shop Tottenham Hotspur Shop Manchester United Shop Leicester City Shop Newcastle United Shop West Ham United Shop Barcelona Shop Real Madrid Shop
manchester city gifts, manchester city shop, manchester city store, manchester city superstore, manchester city merch, manchester city merchandise, manchester city souvenirs